Food and Civil Supply Department has been established on 8th November, 1965. The department works on Public Distribution System (PDS). It regulates the stock of Essential Commodities provided by the State Government for supplying to the public through PDS.
- Provide the stock of Essential Commodities like wheat, rice, kerosene, salt and sugar with reasonable price.
- Provide the stock of Essential Commodities to the ration card holders according to their category like AAY, BPL, APL-1, APL-2
- Provide the stock of Essential Commodities regularly to the widows, weak persons, handicapped and the sufferers by Leprosy, AIDS and Cancer under the project of “Antyodaya Ann Yojana”.
- District Supply Officer (DSO) works as Consumer Protection Officer for the welfare of consumers under the Consumer Protection Act-1986.
- DSO inspects the FPSs, Kerosene Agencies, Petrol/Diesel pumps Gas stations and LPG agencies under various Acts to regulate the Public Distribution System. He also inspects shops, stalls, stores etc. as a consumer Protection Officer.
- DSO issues the Licence of FPSs, Oil mills and Petroliam products. He renews various licences, gives duplicate licences, and also changes in replacement of place, name and partnership and succession.
MDM-[Mid Day Meal]
Midday Meal Scheme in Gujarat State started in year-1984. Under the Midday Meal scheme, 25% of the state government and 75% of the central government share it. There is a provision to provide full free mid-day meals in the days of the primary and upper primary schools administered by the government and government assistants, local panchayat institutions.
- The main purpose of this scheme is to provide food to primary students.
- Enhancing Nutrition in Children- Providing Potential Foods to Children.
- There is a plan to encourage the poor students of the society to be regular in school, to increase attendance, to attract them to classroom activities and to take interest in school.
- The aim of reducing the number of students who drop out of studies in schools is the purpose.
- The secondary purpose of this scheme is to provide employment in the rural area.